31 December, 2014

Oven mitt(s)

The Monday Modern quilt group did a Secret Santa for our December meeting and I decided to make an oven mitt/glove/cloth for it. I don't know if there is a proper term for this style where the gloves are joined or not.

Oven mitt with HST patchwork.

I was only going to make one, but then the way I made the HSTs unexpectedly (because I hadn't really thought it out very well!) gave me 8 of each fabric and I wanted a good range of prints, so I ended up with enough for two more! Excellent, one for my mum for Xmas and one for me. 

Oven mitt with HST patchwork.

They're linen on the outside and inside they have one layer of thick wool blanket and one of cotton batting. My machine really struggled with that thickness so the binding was finished by hand on the back. Hopefully it will be strong enough.

I got a super-duper wheat warmer thing (again, is there a proper term for them?) from Lou, it's the prettiest thing, filled with buckwheat and scented with lavender. I sat there sniffing it which probably looked rather dodgy but then she was wearing the oven mitts so maybe a quilt group isn't the most normal of gatherings anyways :D

Wheatie warmer from Lou

3 comments:

  1. We have so many wheatbags...always handy! But the oven mitt.... gosh it's gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely let you know. My current mitt is handmade but not insulated enough so I've designed my one to be better because there is nothing worse than almost dropping something hot because your mitt is useless. It has one layer of thin-ish wool blanket in it (I pulled it apart a bit to peek!) and is just on the not thick enough side and mine is thick wool blanket plus cotton batting so I'm pretty sure it will be good. I know you can get this stuff called insulbrite which has some sort of foil which is meant to be good but it crinkles unpleasantly so I didn't want to go that route.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a homemade pair of oven mitts that I ADORED! Of course they fell apart eventually and I'll be darned if I can find a store bought pair that even remotely rivaled the comfort of my handcrafted ones...alas I don't sew... :(

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails