06 January, 2014

A new year

A new year and hopefully an increased interest in crafting because to be honest it's been lacking for the last month and I don't know why! I had visions of lazing away the holidays on the couch, crocheting, or getting in some good sewing time, but as it turned out I really didn't want to do anything crafty at all. I made a crochet necklace for my mum and then somehow ran out of steam. It's weird. Has anyone else had this happen to them? From being enthusiastic to complete lack of interest in a couple weeks? No blogging, no reading blogs, no Instagram. Maybe it's a virus... or the summer heat...

Anyways, I've been feeling stirrings of interest in the last couple days, and although I don't know how far it will go, I thought I'd post about a couple of things I made for presents.

As I mentioned, I made a necklace for my mum, from the Knot's Itoami book. I realised when I went to get a photo of it that I'd only taken an 'in progress' shot, so that'll have to do.

Untitled

It's done on a .65 hook with #20 mercerised cotton and I found it very hard to do in anything but good lighting! I also realised, much to my chagrin, that if I want to keep doing this very fine stuff that I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy some cheapy reading glasses. I don't need them for reading but I do for this stuff. Well I don't technically, but it's not fun sometimes and my eyes hurt a bit afterwards! Frankly I'm annoyed, crafting shouldn't remind you of your mortality.

Untitled

The other Christmas present I made was a tea cosy for my friend Jess, who has been using her Xmas one year-round. I used the pattern for the cosy in a book she gave me called Cute and Easy Crochet. I then spent a fair amount of time on Pinterest looking at pretty flowery cosies and then made my way through the various flowers in 200 Crochet Flowers, Embellishments & Trims to end up with the garden on top. Oh it was fun! But eventually I had to stop and put them on the cosy. I defy any heat to escape this baby!

Untitled


Luckily it fits Jess's tea pot better than mine, and I'm determined to make myself one that suits my pot. Although the pattern is really easy, it clearly suits the rounder-bodied 'Brown Bettie' type best.

Untitled



Untitled

6 comments:

  1. The blogging social media conversation, didn't we have that this morning ! YES I have felt it, feel it .. .. ..
    THAT little crochet goodness me you have patience
    And the prettiest tea cosy ever

    ReplyDelete
  2. somedays we feel like it and somedays we dont - just roll withit i say :) I struggle with the tiny work... your's is inspiring! and I'm sure that tea cosy went down a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome tea cosy - I love the sheer number of flowers bubbling on the top. Also, I always have a soft spot for poole teapots, they are ever so hard to fit a cosy on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must admit that it wasn't just my lovely toenails that led me to put up a post, but also that quick conversation. I don't know if it's patience or what with the little stuff, but yes I have realised I have an attraction to it - even in archaeology!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks and yes, the cosy went down (or over or on?) well, and it fits her tea pot nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are clearly a woman of good taste if you recognise a Poole teapot under all those flowers! Do you have one? But yes, it's an odd shape and definitely calls for a custom job. I found a good tutorial that shows you how to do that so I must get going on it - not that I actually ever leave tea sitting in a teapot because I don't use teabags in it, but I feel I should have one anyways!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails